I really liked this book.
A Brooklyn gangster with heart. Does he have any choice?
A young woman looking for the truth. Does she have any chance?
Plot summary: In 1934, Eddie Kerrigan and his twelve year-old daughter, Anna visit Dexter Styles who lives in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn. About six years later, Eddie has disappeared and Anna is working as a diver in the naval shipyards. By chance she meets Dexter and realises that her father had been working for Dexter who is a gangster. She believes that Dexter knows what happened to Eddie, and she pursues him until she gets answers.
Quotes from the book:
- “Men said “Girls are weak” when in fact girls made them weak.”
- “Don’t write if you can talk, and don’t talk if you can nod.”
- “When at last she’d reached the bottom, she clutched the line and blinked into the dark, wondering if she’d come down too quickly. A pull on her lifeline steadied her and she pulled back. The current was milder at the bottom. Anna shut her eyes and immediately felt calmer. Here was a blindness she could tolerate.”
Excerpt and Reading group notes Author’s website
- “This is a novel that will pull you in and under and carry you away on its rip tides. In particular, Anna’s plight as a woman whose will is larger than her circumstances is dramatised with tremendous power.” Full review: The Guardian
- ” … while there are moments when the book feels slightly too restrained, most notably in its glossing over of the violence inherent in Dexter’s world, it also lends it a wonderful expansiveness, a quality of depth and openness that recalls both the possibility and the mystery of the ocean itself.” Full review: Sydney Morning Herald