Engrossing from start to finish.
Quotes from the book:“
- “He stood on shaky legs, his vision blurred, as all around the cockatoos whirled and screamed into the scorching red sky. Alone, in that monstrous wound, Falk put his face in his hands and, just once, screamed himself.”
- “He passed a takeaway that seemed to offer cuisine from any corner of the world as long as it was fried or could be displayed in a pie warmer.”
Three members of the same family are found shot dead in their home in the fictional Australian town Kiewarra, the home town of Federal Police Officer, Aaron Falk, who returns for the funeral. He is reluctantly drawn in to the investigation, which has been put down as a murder/suicide by local police.
- “There is about The Dry something mythic and valiant. This is a story about heroism, the sins of the past, and the struggle to atone. But let’s not forget the redbacks, the huntsmen, the rabbit scourge and all that makes this a quintessential Australian story beautifully told.” Full review: Sydney Morning Herald
- “Solid storytelling that, despite a plethora of flashbacks, never loses momentum, strong characterisation and a sense of place so vivid that you can almost feel the blistering heat add up to a remarkably assured debut.” Full review: The Guardian
- Winner 2018 British Book Awards Crime and Thriller Book of the Year
- Longlist 2018 Theakston Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year
- Longlist 2018 International Dublin Literary Awards
- Winner 2017 ABIA Book of the Year
- Winner 2017 ABIA General Fiction Book of the Year
- Winner 2017 INDIE Book Awards Debut Fiction
- Winner 2017 Ned Kelly Award Best First Fiction
- Winner 2017 UK Crime Writers’ Association Awards Gold Dagger for Crime Novel of the Year
- Winner 2015 Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards Unpublished Manuscript
A movie to star Eric Bana is in pre-production.